- We develop rental apartments and commercial spaces in underutilized historic properties.
- We focus on vibrant and affordable communities.
- Our business is self-sustainable; but profits will not be the priority over civic goals.
- We enrich the community by providing jobs to residents. Workers develop skills to bring to the local labor market.
- Each property we complete will be dignified, and a place that we’d be comfortable to call our own.
Do good development. Benefit investors and communities.
The housing shortage has an overall negative effect
- Young and working class people leave communities due to the high cost of housing
- Higher % of income spent on housing leads to lower spending on local retail
- Smaller pool of middle market housing leads to fewer workers to support local businesses
- Lower tax revenue on business leads to higher pressure on property tax; further increasing the cost of housing
The Flatz Plan is a responsible approach
- STEP 1 – Identify at risk housing, in communities with high demand
- STEP 2 – Partner with public programs, and donor funding for renovations and worker training programs
- STEP 3 – Involve local businesses and labor in renovations to build skills and money in the community
- STEP 4 – Rent dignified homes at affordable rates
Business and civic goals can be pursued simultaneously
- Increase available affordable housing
- Provide both jobs and employees to local communities
- Generate a reasonable profit to investors
- Build a repeatable business model that can be expanded to other distressed communities